Skip to main content

God First, Man Second: Moody Monday

I am sure there have been times that if someone asked me a question, the answer they received depended on the mood I was in. Surely I am not the only one who just gets in a mood and wants to see what happens when he says what he's really thinking. (Never mind the fact this would be called honesty and can be done with class.)

Sad man holding pillow

Whether or not I should answer questions based on feeling, I can't help but wonder if God is doinga  little of the same in Ezekiel 20. Check this out;

On August 14, during the seventh year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity, some of the leaders of Israel came to request a message from the Lord. They sat down in front of me to wait for his reply.2 Then this message came to me from the Lord: 3 “Son of man, tell the leaders of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: How dare you come to ask me for a message? As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, I will tell you nothing!’ ~Ezekiel 20:1-3

Uh-oh, the silent treatment?

Not exactly, because what follows is probably one of the clearest sections of scripture on what is motivating God and what should motivate us.

God accounts Israel's history, noting the many times He was going to destroy them. What stopped Him? His Name.

But I didn’t do it, for I acted to protect the honor of my name. ~Ezekiel 20:9

His. Name. His. Glory.

The rest of the chapter becomes laughable as God goes on about each discretion Israel had. Remember that time you disobeyed and I wanted to destroy you? How about that other time you started worshiping other gods? You crazy rascals, you. What God basically told them was that it was His Name that kept Him from giving them exactly what they deserved. He repeats it a few times so they get the picture.

We need to get past the idea that God is so enamored with us that He couldn't possibly punish us or (gasp), use someone else.

It is God's glory that gets top billing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d