Skip to main content

Do You Have Any Idea What Cool Looks Like?


The weather is warming up again. And perhaps it is the thick layers of ice that cause me to forget, but it's this time of year that makes me ready to ride again. To feel the sweet freedom that can only be felt at 25-35 mph while driving my hog. My 50cc's of raw power. 
You might ask why. I'm here to answer your questions.

Why a scooter? 

Good question. After all, until recently I had two other vehicle choices. But neither of them get 140 miles to the gallon. Tell me again about your smart cars and your Nissan Versa, neither one of which do you look better in. Sure, there are high-end motorized wheelchairs that might pass me from time to time, but where will they be when the battery runs out?  

Why a helmet?

Because I don't listen to my wife about a good many things. But she's right about this. Even at 30 mph, bad things can happen. A car travelling faster could hit me. A random deer could come out at the deer crossing sign. 

Because when I die, I want it to be so fantastic that people come up to my grieving wife and say, "Wow, that guy knew how to make an exit!" Any eulogy that includes mention of a scooter will only elicit snickers from the crowd, not awe. 

Why a helmet with flames?

Because if you're going to wear a helmet while riding a scooter, you may as well have a sense of humor about yourself.

Why don't you look at other drivers?

I am on a scooter. I know what they assume. I don't need that kind of judgment.

Do you wave at other scooter drivers?

For several reasons, no. First of all, two hands on the handles, sir. We are travelling at high speeds.

Secondly, the last time I looked in the eyes of a fellow scooter rider, he smirked. I couldn't tell if he was smirking because he knew how much gas we were saving. Or because he realized there was another adult male driving around one of these tickets to freedom, as long as freedom didn't go too fast. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...