Skip to main content

It IS a Good Question

"Why hasn't God made it better?"

I was explaining Alzheimer's to my kids. The question came from my 7-year old. At the moment, I'm glad I'm not God and don't have to answer.

Of course, I don't want to be the person pointing a finger at the Almighty, asking Him when He intends to get around to this matter.

I will admit, however, that it is a good question. My 7-year old is not the first person to ask the question and she won't be the last. Though an argument could be made that she is the cutest. And she asked it with pure sincerity. 

Many people have taken more time than I have lived and more space than my silly blog to answer this question. I've taken the time to read some of those answers, as I'm sure you have. Some of the answers are questionable. Some of the answers are great and lead to deeper faith. Many of them could be much shorter, like that of my 10-year old son, "God makes good things out of hard roads."

I think asking the question is a good thing. If we're asking the question, it means we recognize that not all is right in this world. It means we acknowledge things that are not good, as God created them to be. It even should bring us to the point of considering what we can do to make things better.

I think answering the question is good as well. If we were to continually stick our heads in the sand and offer nothing more than shallow and empty well wishes, we would be no better than the people James talked about, who wished a brother well but did nothing to help. Answers lead to more questions, which lead to better questions. 

But better than both is spending time asking God the question, and allowing Him the time and space to answer, or not, as He wants. 

After all, He is God. And we're not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d