Skip to main content

If Jesus Could Do It, So Can I

On Tuesdays, I like to post a thought. This has been my most committed day to blog. The topics tend to vary, depending on what is rolling around my head, but I do try to keep that focus where it should be, on God. This is also usually a post that doubles as a weekly newsletter devotional for my youth group. Pardon me for multi-tasking, but the overall schedule demands it. 

You're not that important. Shocked? Hurt? Dismayed that I would say such a thing? Don't be offended. I am even less so. Less important that is. (That makes me sound like Yoda, doesn't it? Less important I am. See you will.)

My insignificance has become clearer to me over the past week or so. This, for me, is my big week of changes on my blog. It's ok if you didn't know that. Insignificance has a way of keeping information like that on the down-low. What I didn't realize was that even my wife didn't know.

I try to talk with this lady in my life on a fairly regular basis. That is, after the kids are in bed, because sentences were not meant to be finished while they are awake. The other night I shared a line from one of my posts, but I did it in such a way that expected her recognition. It's kind of like when you quote a favorite movie of yours only to see a blank expression on your friend's face. You become shocked that they don't love the movie as much as you do...or find out that they haven't seen it all.

Such was the case here. My wife had not read my blog recently. That prompted the following conversation.

Me: What do you mean you haven't read my blog lately?
Her: They stopped coming to my email. (Something, by the way, that I set up for her.)
Me: So put your email in again. Clearly the devil is trying to keep you from some fairly decent stories, one liners and segues into truth. The devil is like that, ya know.
Her: Could you just send them to me?
Me: You know, you could actually type in the address to my blog and see what it looks like.
Her: (Blank expression, as if hoping the moment will pass.)
Me: You hate me, don't you?

At this point one of the children came out for a drink of water, giving my wife the needed escape from me and giving me time to realize that I probably shouldn't fight for followers so hard.

It's the truth we must all face. I used to think that if everyone else was good at listening, that would leave me free to talk. After all, someone has to be listened to, right? But we all have to realize that it's not about us. Even Jesus, who many of us would agree that life is about, seemed to deflect attention just as much as He attracted it. If Jesus could point attention to God, shouldn't I at least try to do the same?


This search for insignificance is going to be harder than I thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d