Skip to main content

Unbelievable

Unbelievable! You had to see it to believe it! That was a million-to-one shot! No way! Are you kidding me?!?

We have lots of ways of commenting on things that we find unbelievable. It could be a fantastic dunk in basketball. It could be a car crash that defies description. It could be hundreds of YouTube videos that make you shake your head and wonder how…or even why.

We even talk like this about seemingly smaller events in our daily lives. When someone calls us after we were just thinking about them. For some it might be finding a one-of-a-kind dress on sale, and it’s in your size. Sometimes it’s making your way down the hallway and narrowly missing all 3 of your children while they come running at you with Nerf guns and Barbies. (Ok, that last one got a little specific.)

It’s unbelievable. And sometimes we wonder if our unbelievable luck goes both ways…good and bad. Because Alanis Morrisette isn’t alone when she asks if it’s ironic when we can’t take good advice or when we’re offered a free ride, after we’ve already paid. Who would have thought, right? It figures.

But sometimes (perhaps too many times) we find the Bible to be unbelievable. I’m not just talking about the miracle stories, although we do that too. I’m talking about the basic Christian teaching that God sent His Son, Jesus, to die for our sin. I’m talking about the fact that His death means our life and salvation. And yes, I’m talking about the fact that the new life God has for us replaces our old life. It doesn’t coexist with it.

Brennan Manning was correct when he said, “The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.”

Is God’s free gift of salvation unbelievable? Is the idea of Jesus paying the price for our sin too good to be true? Is it impossible to imagine a new life lived all out for God? Maybe for some. But is it for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...