Skip to main content

Insignificance Pursued

If you read my book review last Wednesday, I forewarned of upcoming changes. Nope, not more exercise and less cookies. That'd be silly. I can't even fathom why anyone would do this. In fact, the other night I asked my wife if she wanted anything while I was up getting myself cookies. She said she didn't need anything.

I scoffed. Never in history has a doctor ever uttered the phrase, "Nurse, this man needs a cookie, stat!" But that's not why I eat them. Now, what was I saying?

Oh yes, changes. I mean changes to my blog. I just read 31 Days to Finding Your Blogging Mojo by Bryan Allain, a book I recommend for bloggers. He brings great focus for bloggers who want to build their platform. But this is also where I struggled.

You may notice, if you visit my blog at all, that the main topic I turn to frequently is insignificance. It's even in the sub-title for my blog. It's something I am pretty passionate about, this idea that instead of seeking to be famous in the world's eyes, we should be seeking insignificance, pointing instead to God. So it feels a bit odd when I say I want more followers so I can talk about how insignificant I am.

Yet that is exactly what I am going to do. So, for anyone that wants to pay attention, my blogging schedule is going to change a tad. This will begin next Monday as I offer short descriptions for what I will do.

I am inviting you to come along on a journey with me. You don't know me. I'm ok with that. This is my search for insignificance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...