Skip to main content

Many Changes, One Purpose

A couple of weeks ago, my now-10-year-old said, ‘I don’t care what people think. I’m wearing white after Labor Day.’ However the fashion police want to handle this is up to them, but clearly my daughter was having none of it. She sees no reason why her color choice should be dictated by season. Of course, there are times I look at my children and ask if anything dictates their tastes in fashion. 

Seasons do change and weather will demand that shorts are packed up and jackets make their first appearance. I can accept that. Despite any of our likes or dislikes, the seasons keep taking turns, one right after the other. It won’t be long before we experience a time change. And, if we pay attention, we can see subtle changes in our children and youth ministries as the teachers may remain but the students keep changing.

Change is all about us. It is so prevalent that it’s a wonder that we have ever had time to get used to something and miss it when it’s gone. Maybe that’s just me.

Whether you are a fan of change or fight it every step of the way, I believe we can take comfort if we don’t make change our focus. In the letter to the Galatians Paul is expressing his concern for their focus. It would seem that they were fighting against change as well.

“Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.”  ~Galatians 4:8-11
I don’t care when you choose to wear white. You can wear socks with sandals, plaid shorts and a polka-dot top for all I care. My wife’s head might explode if she sees you like that, but not me. Just don’t waste all of your energy holding on to what has been.We have many seasons and many options but our one purpose remains the same.

Guess what? Change is coming no matter what. For the Galatians, it was a choice between God and ‘those weak and miserable forces’. The same choice exists for us. We can choose to remain entangled in habits that are killing us. Or we can choose to take our focus off of ourselves and our desires and instead place it on God. That’s where it belongs anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

I Need the Boldness of Some Sinners I Know

Have you ever come across someone who was really bold, but not necessarily in the good way? It's the person you agreed to give a ride to, and along the way they ask you if they can make a second stop. It's someone asking for money and then you watch them spend it on something they didn't need. It could be the child who comes to the dinner table and announces why they don't like what you cooked. Maybe it is the people who refuse to help, yet criticize the work being done.  The nerve of some people, right? It's the guy being crucified next to God. This guy being crucified for being a thief. Yeah, the guy who, according to Roman rule, deserved to be there. We're given no indication that this guy, this thief, had anyone there who was about to miss him. That guy. He turns to Jesus and asks if he can get into Heaven.  Can you believe that? via GIPHY The only thing more incredible than his request is the answer he receives from Jesus.  Yes. Ye...