Skip to main content

Scared By Grace

I can remember, as a child, how I would look at grown-up men, especially my dad, and assume they had no fear at all. It's not as if they were cyborgs who had no emotion, but they certainly didn't seem to be riddled with the long list of fears that I had to keep track of.

Among others, I was scared of:
the dark, because that's where the Boogie Monster lives
bears, even though I had never run into one
running out of cookies, a fear I still have
small spaces, a legitimate fear with a real name
sisters, but only the ones I had
and kittens, they only look innocent

Now, as a dad myself, I realize the list of things to be afraid of only increases;

no job, because a lack of an income can be a real downer on my spending habits
presidential races, because those debates can interfere with my TV viewing schedule
small children, because they are really sticky
car repairs, because I didn't listen to my dad when he was teaching me how to fix stuff
taxes, home repairs, inflation, the return of The Smurfs,...

I could go on. I left most of those childhood fears behind (don't ask), but I am coming to believe that there is something more bizarre that freaks people out.

Grace.

Yeah, the free gift of God. It scares people. See, we're accustomed to being called dirty sinners. If you're not, you're probably hiding from people. We've gotten used to thinking down on ourselves. Driving in rush hour traffic or working in any business that deals with...people...will accomplish this.

What we are not comfortable with is a no-strings-attached, free-for-all gift. Why? Because we don't see it every day. But there was a Friday long ago where a gift was given. It was free. It was for everyone. It happened when Jesus died on a cross for our sins. Yours. Mine. Everyone.

We received a free gift of grace that day. This allowed Paul, one of the followers of Jesus, to write the following;
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2

No condemnation! That's a non-guilty verdict for us when we were actually guilty. Have you ever heard of anything like that? Being guilty but getting away with it? That doesn't happen, unless of course, it's a recent case in Florida or you're a former football star who drives a white bronco. I digress...

In a perfect system, one I believe God has set up, the idea of no condemnation should be given more fanfare. Give God thanks, sing Hakuna Matata, do something. But don't be scared. We need to embrace grace and live free. Perhaps the best reminder is a question posed by Paul later in Romans 8.
"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

I choose not to be scared. How about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...