Skip to main content

This Good Friday is the Best Friday



Since God is for us, who cares who is against us?

I'd heard this worded in this way a long time ago, but thoughts of Easter week brought it back once more.

Plus, the irony of this day and its' title always makes me pause. Good Friday. Think about the last time you came home or met up with a friend somewhere. They probably ask how your day has been. Now think about all the many, eternally insignificant, things that you consider when giving your answer.

I got to sleep in, the weather is nice, it's a good hair day, my cat didn't cough up a hair ball, so on and so forth. 

I'm not saying I don't have better days than others. But when we consider what was done on this one particular Friday, all our days got that much better. 

It was this line of thinking that clearly got the Apostle Paul fired up. Whenever someone asks questions and provides their own answers, they are either horrible conversationalists or they are ramped up about the topic at hand. Having never had a conversation with Paul, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's really excited about  his topic. 

And who wouldn't be? 

We're no longer condemned because of our relationship with Jesus. And since God gave us His Son, is there anything else He won't give us? No! Is there anyone left to accuse us? No! Condemn us? No again!

Can anything separate us? Or does Gd no longer care for us if we are suffering? Nope and nope! Paul then concludes this section with some of the most beautiful verses in scripture. 

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 8:38-39.

All of this, of course, begs the question. Since God is for us, who cares who is against us? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...