Skip to main content

You Must Remember


How do you handle life when it gets real and life-like? Life has a tendency to do that, you know, to become more real than Reality TV. How do you handle the changes to your schedule, the stresses from work and home, the bitterness and discouragement that can come when dreams are dashed and hopes are shattered? When loved ones are lost while the wild world just keeps spinning on, seemingly out of control?
I think Psalm 5 can help us out. The fact that this is a morning prayer reveals that sometimes life’s troubles will follow us, even after we’ve had a night’s sleep. But notice that David began his day by crying out to God.
O Lord, hear me as I pray;    pay attention to my groaning.Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,    for I pray to no one but you.
It sounds like David knows his audience. I’m not talking to anybody else here, but you God. And addressing God as King was to appeal to the covenant relationship between God and His People. 

Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.    Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.

The NIV words it this way;  ‘you hear my voice’. This is like telling God, ‘I know You hear me.’
So while David may feel like his life is in the tank at the moment when he sings this song and brings his sacrifice, but he brings it anyway, waiting on God. David trusts that God will respond. He believes that God will not leave him alone to languish in despair.
How could David be so confident? Let’s read on.
O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness;    you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence,    for you hate all who do evil.You will destroy those who tell lies.    The Lord detests murderers and deceivers.Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house;    I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe.
Have you ever considered how we use calendars? Calendars are very useful, since we live by the calendar. Whether we use a calendar like this or a pocket-size appointment calendar or if we keep our schedules on computers and tablets, it is important for us to be a reminder.
But the thing is that most all of us use it to remind us of things that are coming in the future, doctor’s appointments, important meetings, birthdays and anniversaries. But what happens to the past? We tear out those calendar pages when we are done with them.
We attempt to constantly forget the past and focus instead on the fairy tale green pastures that we think may come. But David tackles his problems by Remembering who God is and what He has already done.
We often assume evil always prevails - the bad guys get away with it, the innocent suffer, that God isn't interested in day-to-day righteousness, etc. But that is not what happens here.
Remember God's character - He listens to the righteous, protects them, blessing them. (vs 4-7)
I don’t know what kind of calendar the Israelites used, but I know they were purposeful about remembering. We’re told in various stories of the OT how they set up rocks as a reminder of what God had done there. I've often wondered how they remembered which rocks were for which story, but one of my favorites is found in the book of Joshua.
The whole army was needing to cross the Jordan River to go and show the city of Jericho who was boss. The only problem is that the Jordan River was at flooding levels. But once the priests who were carrying the Ark of the Covenant touched the edge of the river, the waters stopped and the entire army crossed on dry ground. When they crossed, 12 men picked up 12 stones from the middle of the river bed. They carried them to their camp that night and set them there.
It was left there and in later days when children asked why there were 12 stones there, the Israelites could answer, “Because God rocks!” (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)
Remember God’s Character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d