Skip to main content

I Have a Question?

It's not the question that gets my attention. It's when it is asked.

In John 14, we read Jesus telling His disciples to calm down. Actually, see for yourself what Jesus is saying;

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” ~John 14:1-4

One could almost get the idea that Jesus is tucking the disciples into bed, whispering these calming words as a reminder of His promises. That's when Thomas blurts out his question, "Ummm Jesus? Actually we have no idea where you're going. Could you clear that up for us?"

As I read along, it seems strange because we're more than halfway through the book of John. This isn't the story of Jesus recruiting Thomas. This is very likely not the first Thomas is hearing this concept. But Thomas interrupts anyway, like stopping a pastor mid-sermon. (I've seen this happen.)

But Jesus answers the question, reminding Thomas that He is, in act, the way. That's when Philip comes out with a question of his own. This is when it hits me. My guess is that all of the disciples had questions that they wanted to ask. But they hadn't. Why? For the same reason that we don't always ask questions when we're in groups. We don't want to appear stupid. (It's best to disguise this truth when you can.) We don't want Jesus, or anyone else, to assume we haven't been paying attention. (Although the blank stares often give us away.) We don't want to be that guy!

But just like letting all the fizz out of a shaken can of soda, one question by one brave soul leads to another. Knowing that Jesus embodies the patience that comes with love, He answers the questions. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more questions from the disciples that were not recorded.

All of this got me thinking about community. Oftentimes it takes one person to get things rolling. Many of us may be struggling in the same way, with the same questions, with the same needs, with the same hopes... In the same predicament, all of us could be waiting on one of us.

So be that one who reaches out. Make the phone call. Write that note. Ask the question that may be on everyone's mind. And no matter what your question may be, keep in mind the truth that started the questions. We don't have to allow our hearts to be troubled. We can trust in God, in Jesus. Because He is preparing a place for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d