Skip to main content

The Greatest Words Ever Spoken



The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, introduced and compiled by Steven K. Scott. It sounds funny to me to say that, because I kind of thought God had already compiled these words. I'm tempted to say I liked this book a lot better the first time it was written...you know, when it was called the Bible. But I won't use that joke.

I did wonder about this book, which was part of why I picked it up. The description said it contained the words of Jesus, so how would this be different from the Bible. I had to know. Plus, how is such a thin book over 500 pages? Upon opening it up and flipping through, I discovered the familiar Jesus paper, used in every Bible I have ever seen. You know the kind, so thin you're not sure if you're treating it well because it's the Bible or because the pages might tear if you breathe too hard.

Nevertheless, Steven describes this very personal work as gathering everything Jesus said about every topic and putting it all in one place. By removing all of the extra narrative, you are left with only the words of Christ. Do you want to know what Jesus said about forgiveness? Here's everything He said on the topic.

Steven has organized this book into nine chapters, displaying what Jesus said about Himself, God the Father, God the Holy Spirit, humanity, our relationship with God and our relationships with everyone else. It's all very neatly organized and has a succinct introduction for each chapter. In case we didn't already believe it, Steven gives us more reason to cherish the words of Christ.

Reading through this, I see only one minor weakness. I am a context guy. I like seeing the little details in a story. For instance, when John records that Jesus bent down and drew in the sand. I like that. It's an important detail. With the narrative taken away, you might not know, or remember, who Jesus was talking to, what they asked, or what caused this to be the topic at hand. It simply means that when you are using this as a study tool, you won't be able to use just this book.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't use this. I plan on using it a lot. What better place to start on a topic than the words of Jesus? I would recommend you do the same. It should be noted I received this book for free from my good friends at Blogging for Books. They give me books and I write reviews. Win-win.

You can check out more at the following links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...