Skip to main content

Ministry Monday: My Unique Voice

When I first started adding Ministry Monday to my blogging schedule, I wondered if it would become like some of my other themes on my blog. Would it run for a while and then disappear? Would it be like my God First, Man Second series? Remember those? Or would it fizzle like Rick's Rants? Perhaps.

I think my biggest fear when I started writing about youth ministry was that I would be seen as a fraud...a hack....a shadow of a real youth pastor who had nothing unique to offer. Yeah, I can be pretty harsh with myself. (If you've ever thought I had placed high expectations on you, you have no idea what goes on inside my head.)

I knew if I was going to post every Monday about some youth ministry insight, that would mean I would have to have 52 different insights this year. Yes, the thought quickly overwhelmed me. 52 different insights?!? Who do I think I am? I'm not (enter big youth ministry name here). It doesn't matter what name you put in there. If you've heard of them, I'm not them. 

Ah, but that is when it struck me. I'm not supposed to be them. I'm not called to where they were called to be. I'd say I am who I am, but that sounds blasphemous...or maybe a little like Popeye. You decide. 

But there is this. I am a unique voice. Just like the many unique voices I am a pastor to. I can't tell them that their unique voice matters and then not believe it myself. Oh doctor, heal yourself. 

My voice, compared to others in a worldly manner, may seem insignificant. But appearances can be deceiving. That's how insignificance works. It only makes you think you know what important is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...