Skip to main content

Digital Manners


When reviewing a book such as Manners in a Digital World, I want to be careful not to be rude. But you may be, like I was, wondering who Emily Post is and why she gets to write about manners. That is, you'll be wondering that if you are among those born after 1960, the year Emily Post died.

But as you can find out here, Emily Post made a name for herself by writing books on etiquette. This book on digital manners takes that same spirit and brings it into our new digital age. Daniel writes about manners on all things internet, including social do's and don'ts with cell phones.

He tackles Facebook, Twitter and the myriad of dating websites. But he doesn't stop there. Daniel approaches large portions of this book for people who are, not to put anyone down, clueless. He walks people through the expectations, both for them and from them.

At points, this made the book a bit slow to work through. Overall, however, this is a good resource. Manners are an important detail in our world. It is what helps us get along. That has not changed, even though much of our interaction has moved from face-to-face to screens of all sizes.

Many thanks to my new friends at Open Road Media. You can check out more about them at http://www.openroadmedia.com/ You can also check them out at a few other places around the world wide web. Just be sure to use your manners when you do.

Here is a YouTube video: http://youtu.be/BTzW4EzCPiE
Here's an excerpt.: http://bit.ly/10W2BLE

If you would like to engage with Dan Post or any of the Emily Post team, you can do so here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...