Skip to main content

Reckless


Raising your hands in worship is something like a toddler running recklessly to his mom or dad. You've seen this run. They are running at breakneck speed. That is, breakneck for a kid. Which is to say, faster than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.  

They may fall along the way. They look very goofy. And invariably they begin to stumble and are about to fall.

But they don't fall, do they? No, because their parent catches them. Just like our Father catches us when we worship with reckless abandon.

But more often than not, our hands are not raised in this way. No, our hands are somewhat raised, or halfway raised, or in some other controlled state of being raised. 

But I don't believe this is what our Father desires from us. If being a father has taught me anything, it's that I enjoy my children depending on me. And as much fun as it is to watch people fall, that humor ends when it is my own children. 

Your children? Sure. Mine? Not so much. 

Not only do I know I am capable of caring for my children, I want them to know I am capable. It's hard for me to believe God would enjoy this any less. But when we choose to go in with only half of what we have to offer, that's not reckless. 

The run to our Father should be reckless. We should be out of control, certain to fall unless He decides to catch us. We should be awkward, not caring what we look like along the way, satisfied only with the destination of falling into our Dad's capable arms. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...