Skip to main content

This Can Last! Can This Last?

It's no secret I enjoy reading books. There are always books lying around my office and home. There are stacks by my side of the bed and on shelves throughout the house. There are even a couple usually on an end table in our living room.

All that to say, the kids are pretty used to seeing books lay around. In fact, this has modeled a love of books on their part. So they normally have stacks lying around their bedrooms.

Every once in a while, a cover from one of my books intrigues them enough to ask about its' contents. The most recent was Firsthand by Ryan and Josh Shook. (I'll have my review coming on that book soon.) The simple explanation of the book that I gave my two oldest, 11 and 9, was that the book was about owning your faith.

I explained that teenagers often come to a point of skepticism. They will even, sadly, leave their faith behind. But the positive message of the book is that we need to have a firsthand faith that we own, rather than to simply mimic the answers given to us by our parents.

After explaining this to my kids, I awaited a response. They just sat there...confused. Why would someone reject what their parents are telling them? Why wouldn't they believe in everything their parents taught? They found it unfathomable that someone would hear about the good news of Jesus Christ and somehow come to doubt God's love.

If parenting is a game, then I am owning it. It dawned on me that my kids still trust me. This can last, right?

Okay, I am not o naive to think that this is a sign of calm seas ahead, but what am I to think and how am I to deal?

First of all, I assured my kids that doubt can be a good thing as long as we search out the truth. I believe, as parents, we should encourage questions. Questions lead to answers. When we silence doubts, we also silence the opportunity for great conversations ad we stifle growth.

Second, I think parents need to be encouraged to continue to teach at every opportunity. My kids parrot a few of my favorite sayings. For instance, when I ask them about making good choices, it is not uncommon for them to say we do the right thing for the right reason. This is a favorite of mine. They may, at times, roll their eyes while they say it, but they are hearing me.

Finally, I realized that I should not assume that my kids will question everything, go experiment with drugs, find all the worst friends and play out the typical pastor's-kid nightmare. I also should not expect them to be like any teenager I have ever been a youth pastor to. After all, all of my teens have been unique, so why shouldn't these tweeners carve out their own path.

Parents, be encouraged. Teens, like all of us, will need to own their own faith as they grow into adulthood. But how they do that will look different as we create opportunities and embrace the questions as they come. Oh, and keep reading books. There's all sorts of good things we can learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d