Skip to main content

The Truth That Matters

This high profile bloggers says one thing. That high profile blogger says another. But what are we (including me, the non-high profile blogger) supposed to think?

Every once in a while, my kids and I will have the same thought at the same time. You can accuse me of thinking like a child all you want, but I believe this is a direct result of great teaching, from me to them. Anyways, we may end up saying the same thing at the same time. This inevitably leads them to declare that great minds think alike.

Whenever I hear this, my memory recalls my college Saturdays when I, of course, was watching One Saturday Morning on ABC. It was a collection of cartoons and shorts, one which included the Genie from Aladdin. Still voiced by Robin Williams, someone would spout some common thinking with the adage that 'great minds think alike.' Then the Genie would appear and declare, 'No, great minds think for themselves!'
I couldn't agree more.

We come across so many ideas and opinions in any given day, it is enough to make us wonder what God actually wants us to believe. I said yesterday that I think we link to way too many stories without first verifying the truth in those stories. The same could be said for Christian pastors, authors and bloggers who share their interpretation of scripture.

Whether the topic is views on marriage, the war, politics, freedom of speech or anything else, there are going to be differences of opinion. So what are we to do?

Instead of choosing sides based on superficial characteristics, we should choose to investigate the truth ourselves. We can't simply choose which presenter of opinions is better looking, more schooled, from the West coast or East coast, has fancy rimmed glasses or if their church is bigger than another.

Since all scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16), perhaps it is valuable enough for us to read it for ourselves.

Our sole interpretations should not be based on the interpretations of any other single person, no matter how much we like them or want to agree with them. We do those who have gone before us a great disservice if we rely only on those voices speaking out today.

So this is going to involve some time on our parts. Not everything can be found out on snopes.com. Not everything is a simple Google search away. In fact, much of what we are going to believe will need to be researched and thought about.

After all, it is the truth that matters.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
The difficulty then becomes, "is the truth the same for all people?" or is it that because of perspectives every truth is different. It is so easy to get caught up in what everyone else is saying or believing and just going along with the general consensus. Who has time to think for themselves? But, if each person's truth is different there can't be a dependency on others to find it.
Rick Nier said…
Hi Madi,

There is a story of 3 blind men who are trying to figure out what an elephant is. The first blind guy is by the tail, so he describes the elephant as being thing and furry. The second guy is in the middle and can only feel the belly of the elephant, so he describes an elephant as being a large smooth canvas. The third blind man is by the trunk, so he describes the elephant as long and bumpy.

They each had a perspective of the truth, but the actual truth is what we see to be an elephant. Truth doesn't change. Jesus is the Truth. We need to take time to seek Him out.

But you're right that each person's perspective is different, which is why we should take the time to study for ourselves.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d