Skip to main content

Cruisin'

I've had a series of rants recently, arguing for those much needed improvements in life, such as a new car horn that really communicates, stores that collect too much information and the study of ketchup. Yes, ketchup. Yes, it's the major things in life that motivate me.

Well, I've realized that there is a need for being thankful as well. And there are many things that people are overlooking. So, once again, I will raise the bar and go where others feel is a waste of time.

So, where to begin?

Since I've recently taken a couple of trips, my mind wandered to cruise control. 

Seriously, when I can drive for hours on end using less limbs than all those other poor saps out there on the highways. This also frees me to be less patient when that car with the inferior driver speeds up and then slows down and then speeds back up. They can look at me all they want with their irritation, but my cruise control is set. I'm a constant. I'm a rock. You, my friend, are the waffling driver, not knowing exactly how heavy you want your foot to be.

I can focus more energy on cruising the radio stations, since only the country stations appear to have strong signals. I could plug in my iPod, but I seem to have run out of DC connectors, due to the use of GPS and my kid's DVD players. Honestly, how did parents handle children and long car rides before this?

This also leaves me better ready to flee the vehicle, should the need arise. Consider this, would you rather have to sprint with a foot that has been used for hours or one that has been at rest?

If only we could come up with some technology to make it possible to drive hands-free, then I would be set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...