Skip to main content

Just Kill Me Now


There are many things that makes me less than thrilled with life. Dare I say there are times when death would seem like a welcome rest from life. Some of those times would include;
  • Snow days once Spring has officially begun.
  • When the 6-year old asks to play I Spy for the hundredth round while waiting for the wife to come out of the store.
  • Watching an entire season of My Little Ponies when that same 6-year old is sick.
  • Actually, watching any of the number of TV shows made to entertain children.
Thanks to over-acting and and a seemingly endless supply of money funding these child actors, I have several times uttered, 'Just kill me now.'

Numbers 11:15 tells us of a time when Moses asks to be killed if he has found favor in God's eyes. It seems like an unusual request of someone who likes you.

Moses: Hey God, You're my friend, right?
God: I Am.
Moses: Well, then could You just off me? Seriously, and make it quick and painless please.

I've asked God for some pretty crazy things, but I'm not prone to testing my faith by asking God to end my life. But Moses' reason was so that he would not come to ruin. Moses was so concerned about living a pleasing life in God's eyes that he was willing to go out early. Sort of end the party before it goes bad. 

If we want the God-life, we must be crucified in Christ. Left to our own will, we will be ruined. That would not be pretty. Of course, understand that sacrificing your self for the sake of Christ living in and through you could become quite messy as well.

So God, if I have found favor, kill anything within me that doesn't reflect you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...