Skip to main content

Thump, Thump, Thump

Except for the grace of God, I would have been a single father. I'm not trying to be melodramatic about this, but upon this realization, I had to stop and praise God. Then I instantly felt the need to share this story with any who would listen.

My wife went to a conference last Thursday. She took 4 co-workers along with her. From point A to point B was a bit over two hours. No more than thirty minutes from home, they heard a thump, thump, thump. Being somewhat near a guy they knew could help check for things, they made an unscheduled stop.

The guy, a dad of one of the co-workers, checked it out. They checked the tires. It wasn't a flat. He took the truck out for a spin and couldn't hear anything. Perhaps it was just 5 ladies hearing things. (Just kidding, ladies!) With the thumping gone, they continued on.

As they continued on, the thumping came back. On Saturday, the thumping grew worse. Thinking it was engine trouble, they decided to trek on home and figure it out then. Thump, thump, thump for two and a half hours.

On Sunday, I took out the truck so I could adequately describe the problem to a mechanic without sounding like I normally do...a complete moron as regards mechanical matters. The thumping was consistent and loud. But as I drove, I could tell quickly the sound came from the driver's side, so I adjusted the mirror downward and what I saw...freaked. me. out.

The rear wheel on the driver's side was moving left and right. In case you're mechanically challenged like I am, tires aren't supposed to do that. If you recall preschool at all, the wheels on the bus go round and round. Not left and right.

I pulled over to discover 1 missing lug nut and 4 loose lug nuts. For those of you scoring at home, that would add up to the 5 lug nuts that would normally hold a tire on. So for the better part of 5 hours, my wife had been driving, on highways, mind you, on 3 tires secured properly to the truck and 1 tire being held on by, what I now believe, was a very tired angel of God.

Replacing the lug nut and a broken lug nut bolt cost me about $30. What I received was a miracle from God, who clearly loves me and my wife and still has plans for her. Except for the grace of God, I would have been a single father.

Thank you, God. I am reminded once again of Your grace and how You alone protect us, sometimes from ourselves, sometimes in spite of ourselves, sometimes without us knowing or realizing. But still Your protection is there, much like Your love. I pray that when other things go thump in my life, that I would look and see just how much You got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...