Thursday, January 3, 2013

Did You Hear That?

There is some scuttlebutt around the church office that a ghost inhabits the church building. I'm not sure if you should be more surprised about a ghost in a church or my sick use of the word scuttlebutt. Either way, I speak of what I hear.

There are reports of a whistling noise, heard often at night and, predictably, when there's not a crowd. It's not a wind or a train but the mystery remains. I wish I could tell you more, but alas, that's all I know.

It does make me wonder if someone is watching me while I work. I detest the thought of someone being over my shoulder, so I guess I could use that as an excuse when I'm distracted. It also makes me second guess when I'm checking my teeth after lunch or my nose for a stray hair.

Yeah, this post is going a little crazy...just like some of those nose hairs.

I suppose the thought of a ghost watching us shouldn't be all that alarming. We serve a God whom we cannot see. This causes questions and doubts for some and fears for others. We're not alone. Job had this to say many years ago.

“But if I go to the east, he is not there;
if I go to the west, I do not find him.
When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.
But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. ~Job 23:8-10

But rather than simply feel in the same despondent boat as Job, I read this and feel encouraged. I think you should as well. Because when I read this, I hear;

You can't always see me, but I can see you. ~God

No comments: