Skip to main content

Significant Lies

I use the word significance often here on this blog. Unfortunately auto-correct doesn't catch the may ways I misspell it when I get to typing too fast. Alas, the topic intrigues me.

I think it should be fairly clear I have no problem with my own insignificance when compared to the uber and only significant God. That's philosophical. Of course, accepting that in real life is a totally different matter, which is why many stories are told here of my search for insignificance.

Having said that, what isn't insignificant is truth. I believe that without truth, we have nothing solid with which to compare...well....anything. Which is why I am not as pleased with recent survey revealing a drop in lying by teenagers.

You can view the report right here. Here's just a glimpse of the larger report.

LOS ANGELES, CA (November 20, 2012) -- A continual parade of headline-grabbing incidents of dishonest and unethical behavior from political leaders, business executives and prominent athletes suggests that we are in a moral recession. But a new report — the 2012 Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth — suggests that a robust recovery is underway.
The survey of 23,000 high school students, which was conducted by the Los Angeles-based Josephson Institute of Ethics, reveals that for the fi rst time in a decade students are cheating, lying and stealing less than in previous years. The Institute conducts the national survey every two years.

CHEATING: In 2010, 59 percent of students admitted they had cheated on an exam in the past year; in
2012 that rate dropped to 51 percent. Students who copied an Internet document for an assignment dropped 2 percent, from 34 percent in 2010 to 32 percent this year. Other good news:

LYING: Students who said they lied to a teacher in the past year about something significant dropped
from 61 percent in 2010 to 55 percent in 2012. Those who lied to their parents about something signifi cant
also dropped from 80 percent to 76 percent. In 2012, 38 percent of the students said they sometimes lie to save money; that is a drop of 3 percent from 2010.

STEALING: In 2010, 27 percent of the students said they had stolen something from a store in the past
year. In 2012 that number dropped to 20 percent. In 2010, 17 percent said they stole something from a
friend in the past year compared to 14 percent in 2012. The percentage who said they stole something from a parent or other relative in the past year also decreased (from 21 to 18 percent).
if you tell a lie big enough...

I'm not convinced these are good figures. The lying section is most troubling to me. First of all, I think we need to define what 'significant' means. Significant to the teens? Or to the one being lied to? One is trying to stay out of trouble while the other is a victim.

Secondly, how do we know that teens perspective on what is significant hasn't dropped? If they have adjusted to certain levels of lying on a habitual basis, then they will begin to lose their concept of what should be viewed as 'significant'.

Of course, depending on how we view the lying stats, it brings into question every other answer the teens are giving. After all, what if they don't find the surveys to be of significance? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d