Skip to main content

This Pew Smells


I'm not the type to throw my children under the proverbial bus simply because they make great sermon illustrations. 

Wait a minute...yes I am! So here we go again...

My children, in some areas, have joined a long list of people who have uttered the words, "But we've always done it that way!" Their specific dilemma was when their mother chose not to sit in the same pew that we often frequent. She thought it was a minor decision, until she heard the great outcry that resembled a great heresy whispered in the Holy of Holies. 


People that attend our church may wonder if my family is part of a yearlong experiment in which we measure which pews in our sanctuary are more comfortable. Of course, I'm not saying this would be unnecessary. Think of some of the questions that could be answered by such a study. 

  • Which pew has a better angle for hiding from the pastor when he's looking for you?
  • How far front does one have to sit before there'll no longer be tall people directly in front of you?
  • Which pew smells so bad it actually causes you to speak its name?
  • Perhaps most important, which one has the most padding for my comfort?


Although, some things would be obvious. For instance, everyone knows the farther forward a pew is, the more padding would be left in it, because most people dart for the back rows. My theory is that they must be afraid to have a little too much Jesus spill on them if they are up front. It's sort of a Holy Spirit splash zone up front.

But the reason my family moves around is to keep our children from claiming a particular pew as their own. It's an important lesson, but not the last we are teaching our children. We listen intently to the sermon because we can learn about God from the pastor's teaching. We give money to support the work that brings glory to God. We read and pray and respond, not because we're in the mood that particular Sunday. 

We also discuss how singing is an act of worship we give to God, not because we like the selected song. It's something we do for God, because He is God. 

A couple of years ago, our church preschool had a very special young student. Maddux was physically blind, but after one small conversation with him, I knew he had eyes that could see what many of us are blind to. While entering the Sanctuary where the rest of the children were already practicing a song, Maddux declared, "I bet Jesus really likes this song."

I imagine we should all be spending more time thinking about what Jesus likes than what we prefer. 

Comments

MaryHelen said…
Thinking of Jesus in all we do. A good reminder for me. MHG

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d